GHANA MONOHULL OPEN CLASSES ASSOCIATION (GMOCA)
Team Name: Ghana Ocean Racing
Simply stated, our mission is to build the 1st Ghanaian international open ocean single & double-handed sailing team that will develop us as African skippers and raise the profile of the sport across Africa as well as increase market penetration across a more diverse demographic world wide for the sport, our sponsors, and our country.
We are currently beginning basic training, in discussions with corporate sponsors, and fund raising from private patrons to complete a double-handed 24,000 nautical mile around-the-world sailing expedition on an Open 60 yacht in 2013/14. This will be Ghana Ocean Racing’s inaugural tour that will launch the team onto the international scene while making history as the first Ghanaian skippers to attempt this goal. After completion of our inaugural tour our goal is to compete in IMOCA competitions such as the Barcelona World Race and field a crewed team Ghana in the 2016 Volvo Ocean Race.
Mission and Vision
This is a historic strategic sponsorship opportunity to partner with GMOCA and Ghana Ocean Racing from the very beginning. It will elevate our sponsor’s brand and create significant returns through broadening the approach of a sailing sponsorship with a truly differentiated and entertaining story backed by an innovative corporate promotions approach. Our Story and goals in a Nut shell:
1. Before Ghana, no Sub-Saharan African Sailing Teams playing at the International level
2. Become the 1st Sub-Saharan African (Ghanaian) team to complete a double handed round-the-world course similar to IMOCA races such as Vendee Globe and Barcelona World Race.
3.Acquire boat, complete training, and complete a round-the-world course along a route similar to the major IMOCA competitions with 7 stopovers. This entire journey and stopover events will be filmed, blogged, and chronicled through social media.
4.Extend domestic and global brand with a unique approachable non-elitist image that will attract name recognition across the emerging and developed markets.
5. Promote diversity in the industry and sport, a charitable cause or highlight global corporate sustainability efforts consistent with our sponsor’s corporate mission, and expand their global audience and brand to the most coveted demographic Yachting represents.
6. Qualify for IMOCA level competition such as Barcelona World Race, Vendee Globe, and the Volvo Ocean Race – we’ll get there, but first we must build a foundation. This will be an entertaining journey for our fans.
7. Train and develop Ghanaian youths to become the next generation of skippers in Ghana.
8.Promote Ghana as a coastal tourist destination and develop a new national team to further project Ghana’s national sporting pride world wide for the exciting arena of competitive open class 60 yachting.
Team and Partner Foundation Website
Ocean Racing Association Planner for 2012 and 2013
October - Skipper On-shore Training Camp
December - Open Class-60 Boat Purchase and Repair
January, Febuary, March, April - Double Handed Off-shore Training Camp
May , June, July ,August September- Ghana Crew Selection and Training Camp
October,November,December - Double Handed Round-the-World Qualifier